Teachers’ conventions are an annual winter tradition in Alberta. Conventions give teachers the opportunity to develop the competencies identified in the professional practice standards by learning about innovative pedagogical practices and new educational research. All active members of the Alberta Teachers’ Association under contract to public, separate, and Francophone school divisions have a legal and professional obligation to attend convention.
Members may use this portal to request permission to:
- Attend an alternate professional development event that is scheduled during their assigned convention.
- Attend a convention other than the one they are assigned because they either:
- Are distance/online education teachers or seconded teachers who live outside of the geographical area of their assigned convention; or
- Have found themselves in an attendance conflict beyond their control.
- Be released from part of their convention to coach a school team at a provincial finals competition organized by the Alberta Schools' Athletic Association.
*All other types of attendance requests must be discussed with Association staff. Please call 1-800-232-7208 or email email@example.com and ask to speak to the Professional Development Duty Officer.*